The oldest surviving Hindu temple in Goa. Bulit by Sri. Hemadri, a minister of the Yadav Kingdom, around 1271 AD; some consider it as a Kadmba dynasty construction.
The small but beautiful temple is made up with black basalt stone. It is the only specimen of Kadamba-Yadava architecture in basalt stone still alive in Goa.
The temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva. The local people believe that there is a king cobra in permanent residence inside the temple. There is a big cobra statute in the temple to support this belief. The river Surla flows nearby.
The temple is inside a thick forest, on the foothills of Sahyadri ranges. Due to its peculiar location, the temple seems to have escaped from the Muslim and Portuguese attack which played havoc on other Hindu temples of Goa
The temple is now under the control of Archeological Survey of India (ASI).
At present, the temple is part of Bhagwan Mahaveer Sanctuary and Mollem National Park , 65 kilometers from the state Capital Panaji.