One of the oldest surviving Hindu temples of Goa. Unlike many other Hindu temples which had to be shifted from the original place due to the Portuguese attack, this temple stands at the same place as is original.
The temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva known as Nagesh. A stone inscription on the temple premise certifies its existence even in 1413 AD. But many believe the temple dates back to 8th century.
Legend is the Shivalinga of the temple is Swayambhu- that is self-appeared. The temple is the family deity to many Saraswata Brahmins of the region.
Temple is about 27 kilometers from Panaji- the State Capital.